Monday, July 19, 2010

Ghanaian chocolate in short supply?

I am not a true chocaholic, but I do like chocolate, so almost every Saturday, usually towards the end of my shopping for household supplies and groceries, I usually try to treat myself, and those members of the household who are around to some chocolate.

Usually this is one of the varieties produced by the Ghana Cocoa Processing Company, and more often than not, there are a lot of bars of Kingsbite the milk chocolate in a red wrapper, since that seems to be the favourite of most.

Personally I like some of the other varieties - lemon, orange, groundnut, coffee, or the two darker ones, but those are mostly for me.

Or they used to be.  Now I am happy for anything I can get.

And lately I haven't been able to get any Ghanaian chocolate/  Plus I don't see much of it being sold on the streets by traders walking through the traffic stopped at intersections or lights or when there are police or traffic guards.

I think I heard that the Cocoa Processing Company factory was going to be closed or something like that for a while, but surely not for so long?

So in the meantime I have to make do with the imported varieites - and though I enjoy them, somehow they do taste different, and I yearn for that taste of the tropical forest processed locally!

Just a small shortage; nothing really significant.

But it does make me feel rather sad that I can't easily buy Ghanaian chocolate right now.

No comments: