Sunday, July 27, 2008

Not a foodie

I am not a foodie, but I do like food and eating and reading about food and cooking. And even watching food programmes on TV! Yet, I will eat most of what is put in front of me, without fussing too much – unless it is absolutely spoiled, or too much salt or too much pepper…

I like baking, and cooking non-everyday meals. So there is the sweet and the savoury. And I like both, but then I have to deal with the likes and dislikes of those living with me. R is fine. Even since he’s been ill he’s been pretty much able to eat almost anything we give him, as long as it doesn’t require too much chewing. That does bother him, even with his new teeth! And he does have a very sweet tooth, and will eat lots of cakes and other nice things, with anything to drink – again preferably sweet. Sometimes he does ask about coffee, but most of the time he doesn’t remember.

Last Sunday I made a new cake recipe – sent to me by Z, K’s girlfriend. I think K said it was sort of adapted from a recipe in Joy of cooking which it is, but it was OK just doing part of it. The plain yellow cake went down pretty well with everyone, though I misgauged the oven again! That was just the small one with the leftover. But the main one was the hot yellow cake, drenched with a mixture of milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk, and then put in the freezer for a couple of hours. It should have gone into the fridge, but there was no room…It was very sweet and moist. Next time I think I will put less sugar in the main cake though. The sad thing is that most of the hordes didn’t really like it, apart from R and Ro – both of whom will eat anything sweet. So next time, I guess I will make it for those of us who like such things, and keep the plain one for the rest.

I bought some fresh coriander outside Saagar in Osu. It does have a wonderful smell, and makes salads taste special. I really do like it. Gives a kind of middle Eastern tang to a salad...

No comments: